While I love a closet full of shoes as much as the next girl, I find myself reaching for the same shoes, the workhorses of my closet, time and time again. If you're shopping on a budget, it helps to make a list of the holes in your closet, and fill them in. Or, if you're finding that you never have the right shoe to work with an outfit, chances are, you're missing one of these six essentials. I highly recommend filling these six places in your closet, with shoes you love, and that fit your budget, then move out from there and purchase trendier, or even just plain FUN shoes from here! Make no mistake though, these six can be far from boring, if you pick the right pairs.
1. While it may be Spring now, you'll definitely need a great pair of flat boots come Fall again (not to mention, if you buy these shoes now, you'll be able to score them on sale!). If your closet revolves mostly around earth tones, pick a brown pair, and if you're an all black, all the time girl, then go for the obvious choice! They will pull together every outfit, and since they're flat, you can walk anywhere in them. (Above: Frye Melissa Boots, $325)
2. The perfect ballet flat is an essential. You can wear these all year, and with pretty much anything. While I think basic black is great, if you go with a metallic, you can wear them with bare legs (and they'll make them look much longer than black flats), and not worry about them not matching your outfit, since they match everything! (Above: Gap City Flats $32)
3. The perfect pump is an essential to any wardrobe. You can wear these with tights in winter, and without the rest of the year. If you usually wear bare legs, pick nude, and if you usually wear pants or tights with pumps, pick black or navy (and if you want to cover your bases, buy both). (Above: Corso Como $139).
4. In the summer, you need a pair of flat sandals you can walk around in, especially on vacation! Pick a comfy, but still cute pair, in a neutral color that goes with your wardrobe. (Above: Cole Haan, $158)
5. I like to call number 5 the party shoe. A complete "free pick" if you will, these are the shoes you put on when your LBD needs a little sprucing, or even with jeans and a cute top for a date night. Whether your party shoe is strappy, glittery, or an eye-popping hue, you need this shoe in your closet. (Above: Badgely Mischka $159)
6. Last, but certainly not least, is the summer wedge. Whether an espadrille, stacked wood, or cork sole, you need a pair to take you from Memorial Day to Labor Day. If you wear a lot of brights, go for a neutral, and vice versa. (Above: Seychelles, $110)
I know this list could change slightly, depending on your lifestyle, but I think that this is a great start to any girl's shoe wardrobe!
What are your shoe essentials?